This vegetarian lentil walnut bake is loaded with vegetables and is a great source of protein, fiber, omega 3 fatty acids, iron (especially important for babies 6 months and older), and vitamin D. Lentils, combined with vegetables, oats, and walnuts, make this a hearty bake that is sure to satisfy and keep you energized for a long time. It can be served as a snack or meal and is portable, making it great for when you and the baby are out and about.
Before going into the oven:
At this point, you can spread the tomato sauce and/or shredded cheese if you wish. I chose not to so I can control the amount of cheese for the baby. You can also cover 1/2 the pan with cheese for the adults. If you decide to do what I did, you can simply top with cheese and place under the broiler or microwave before serving. Of course, let it cool a bit before giving it to the baby.
- 1 cup lentils (any kind. I used green)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- vegetables: 1 yellow onion, 1 medium carrot (I used 1/2 purple and 1/2 orange), 1 medium zucchini, 4 oz. mushrooms (button or portabella), 1 garlic clove
- Seasonings: 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 eggs
Optional Toppings: no sodium added tomato sauce and/or cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Cook lentils in water for about 25-30 min, until lentils are tender. I like to do this the day before so it’s one less thing to do the day of.
- Meanwhile, process ingredients in this order so you can keep using w/o having to wash every time: Add oats to food processor and pulse until it’s size/texture of breadcrumbs. Transfer to a bowl. Pulse walnuts and transfer to a bowl as well.
- Chop veggies in food processor. Saute veggies in a little bit of oil over med high heat until tender, 5 minutes or so (see note). Add seasonings and paste. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the oats, eggs, and cooked lentils. Press mixture into greased loaf pan. Spread no sodium added tomato sauce on top. You can also sprinkle some cheese if you wish.
- Bake 40 minutes.