These vegetarian Mexican lentil muffins made with wholesome ingredients make for a perfectly nutritious portable snack for the entire family, including babies 6 months and older. They are an excellent source of protein, fiber, and iron and are extremely easy to prepare!
- 1 cup cooked lentils (I used green)
- 1 cup beans (rinsed & drained, I used adzuki)
- Veggies: ½ med onion, 1 red bell pepper, 1 garlic clove (finely chopped, I used a food processor)
- 4 prunes, finely chopped
- ½ cup peas
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp each of cumin, coriander
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 Tbs ground flaxseeds
- cheese for topping (optional)
- Saute veggies & prunes in pan over med-high heat, until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add paste & spices. Stir. In a large bowl, combine the veggie mixture w/lentils, beans, peas, eggs (wait to add until veggies are cooled a bit). Bake @ 350F in a greased (do NOT skip this step!) muffin pan for 30 min.
We took the baby to his very first pumpkin patch, and these muffins made for a perfect nourishment for the little man!