Mexican Lentil Muffins
Looking for a healthy savory vegetable muffin for kids? These Mexican lentil muffins are moist and packed with essential nutrients that babies and toddlers need.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease or line a 12-cup muffin pan.
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Add the vegetables and cook for 3-5 minutes, until softened. Add the spices and tomato paste. Lower heat and cook for 1-2 minutes until well-combined.
In a large bowl, combine with beans and lentils.
Transfer about 1/2 mixture and place into a blender or food processor. Add eggs and pulse until smooth.
Pour back into the large bowl with the rest of the mixture. Combine well.
Transfer the mixture to prepared muffin pan. Using the back of the spoon, push the mixture down a bit to make sure it’s nicely packed together. Top with additional cheese, if you wish.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean
Lentils: can use brown or red. Keep in mind the cooking time will be shorter and the texture softer with the red variety
Beans: You can use other types if you wish, but black beans fit the flavor profile of these savory vegetable muffins the best.
Vegetables: Feel free to use whatever vegetables you have on hand. I highly recommend keeping the onion and peas though. Carrots and red bell peppers are amazing in this but some other suggestions include zucchini, sweet potatoes, broccoli, spinach, mushroom, tomatoes, etc.
- Do NOT skip the step of cooking the vegetables! This is where you're going to build SO much flavor!
- If you wish, you can actually stop after step #2 and enjoy as a delicious vegan lentil salad!
- There's no need to measure out exactly 1/2 of the mixture to puree. Just eyeball it. If you want softer, smoother muffins then you can blend a bit more than 1/2.
- However, don't blend the whole mixture.
- Feel free to top with more cheese for older children and adults.
- Once baked, cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days in the fridge. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Calories: 85kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 52mg | Potassium: 197mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 542IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1mg