Tofu Veggie Scramble
Vegetarian breakfast of champions - tofu veggie scramble! It's a hearty and delicious plant-based alternative to scrambled eggs that your family can enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until it begins to soften. Turn down the heat to medium and cook the other vegetables until softened - depends on the vegetables used.
In the meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Push veggies to the side and make a well in the center of the pan. Add tofu and cook for 2 minutes, stirring to combine.
Add the sauce and beans. Stir immediately to ensure the sauce gets evenly distributed. Cook for 5-8 minutes. Tip: Spread the mixture into an even layer and don't stir too much. This will help the tofu to get slightly crispy and browned.
Stir in cheese or nutritional yeast. Serve with toast, potatoes, tortilla, salsa, ketchup, cilantro...basically whatever you wish!
How to press tofu: Wrap in several sheets of paper towels or clean dish cloth or kitchen towel. Place something heavy on top and set aside for 10 minutes or so. Transfer to a bowl and crumble with a fork.
- Tofu: Extra-firm is the BEST choice followed by firm. Say no to medium-firm or soft (silken) tofu as you will end up with mush.
- Vegetables: feel free to use whatever you have on hand! Fresh, frozen, canned all works here
- Seasonings: have fun flavoring!
- Beans: this is optional but highly recommended!
- Cheese: any types of cheese will work. If vegan, you can leave out or use nutritional yeast
- In the refrigerator - will keep for 3-5 days in the refrigerator. Keep in mind, the scramble won't go bad quickly, but the texture can get a bit gritty/mealy as it gets closer to 5 days. I have a feeling it will be long gone before then though ;).
- In the freezer - will be good up to 3 months. To reheat - Best to do so on the stovetop over low heat. I personally like to add a splash of milk, but you don't have to.
Calories: 122kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 58mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 71IU | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 1mg