One Pot Vegetarian Mexican Lentils
Made with pantry staples like lentils, black beans, and sweet potatoes, this one pot vegetarian mexican lentils is the perfect busy weeknight meal.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and sweet potatoes and cook for 5-7 minutes, until softened.
Add the seasonings (if using garlic powder, add it here) and cook for 1-2 minutes
Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30-35 minutes, until lentils are cooked through
Add cheese (See note) and cover with a lid until the cheese has melted.
- Skillet size: a deep 10-12 inch skillet will work best. You can also use a dutch oven.
- Don't rush cooking the vegetables. It's important for flavor development.
- You can use another grain, like rice, farro, barley. Just be sure to adjust the amount of liquid and the cooking time accordingly.
- If your child is able to handle some heat, try adding more chili powder or some green chiles.
- If you want to add extra protein to this dish, cook some ground beef, chicken, or turkey along with onion and garlic. Then add the sweet potatoes and follow the rest of the instructions. You can also fold in whatever cooked protein you have on hand (meat, poultry, seafood, tofu, tempeh) towards the end.
- To make this vegan, leave out the cheese or use nutritional yeast or vegan cheese.
Calories: 293kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 93mg | Potassium: 860mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 6909IU | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 5mg