Beetroot Pesto Pasta Sauce
Made with simple, wholesome ingredients, this beetroot pesto comes together in minutes and makes for the perfect pasta sauce for babies, kids, and adults!
- 170g of roughly chopped steamed or roasted and peeled beets, about 1 ½ medium beets
- ¼ cup (30g) walnuts
- basil, a handful (doesn't have to be exact)
- ⅓ cup (3 oz or 80g) whole milk ricotta
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
In a food processor or blender, add all the ingredients minus the oil and pulse several times.
Leaving the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil until all ingredients are well combined. If pesto is too thick, add extra oil or water.
Store in a jar for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months (recommend freezing in single-serve portions)
- Walnuts - Feel free to swap with other nuts of choice, although I highly recommend trying it with walnuts first. If there's a nut-allergy, you can substitute with pine nuts, pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- Basil - such a wonderful accompaniment to beets! You don't really need to be exact with the measurements here. I like to add a handful. Feel free to add more or less.
- If you think garlic may be too spicy for you or your baby, start by adding just one clove. You can always add more at the end. Same goes for lemon and basil.
- You can also easily adjust the consistency by adding more oil (or water) to make it thinner.
Calories: 194kcal | Protein: 4g | Fat: 18g | Sodium: 44mg | Potassium: 174mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 104IU | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 1mg