Bento Box Lunch Ideas - DIY Pasta Salad Bar
Bento box lunches are an easy way to pack a variety of healthy foods for preschool, kindergarten and beyond! Here are some delicious ideas to help make packing school lunches fun and doable.
- ½ cup Pasta of choice, preferably whole grain or legume-based (e.g. chickpeas, lentils)
- ¼ cup Protein (chicken, beef, hard-boiled egg, shrimp, beans, tofu)
- Cubed or sliced cheese
- 3 tablespoons Sauce (pesto, vinaigrette, ranch, hummus)
Vegetables (½ cup)
- cherry/grape tomatoes (quartered for 4 years and younger)
- cucumber (sliced or cubed)
- zucchini (sliced or shredded)
- carrots (sliced or shredded)
- bell peppers (sliced)
- baby spinach
Pack all the components into separate compartments. Place the pasta in the largest compartment so that if your child decides to mix up all the components together, they can!
If your lunch box is not leak-proof, be sure to add the sauce/dressing in a separate container.
Veggie-loaded homemade sauces to try:
Nutrition facts calculated using whole wheat pasta, chicken, and cheddar cheese.
- Greek pesto: rotini pasta, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, chickpeas, olives, feta, pesto
- Italian pasta salad: fusili pasta, chicken, red bell pepper, zucchini, mozzarella balls, bail, balsamic vinaigrette
- Tortellini salad: cheese tortellini, torn romaine, shredded carrots, tomatoes, ranch dressing
- Shrimp pasta salad: lentil pasta, shrimp, cucumber, corn, black beans, lime dressing
Calories: 354kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 12g