Low-Sodium Moo Goo Gai Pan
Chinese mushroom chicken stir-fry dish loaded with vegetables! This version is made baby and toddler-friendly with less sodium but plenty flavorful for the entire family to enjoy!
For the vegetables:
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) avocado oil, divided
- 1/2 cup (70g) thinly sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups (125g) sliced mushrooms, cremini or white button mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups (130g) broccoli florets
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
Marinate: In a bowl, mix together water and cornstarch and pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Discard any excess liquid.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and cook 2- minutes.
Add mushrooms and broccoli and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Remove veggies from skillet and set aside. Wipe pan clean.
Add the rest of the oil to skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Lightly brown garlic.
Add chicken to pan. Cook until cooked through.
Add veggies back to pan and heat for 1-2 minutes. Pour in sauce and cook until it thickens, about 30 seconds to a minute.
- This dish is suitable for babies 9 months and up. I would chop/shred the chicken and vegetables and serve with cooked rice or other grains.
- Can make extra sauce and add more to the adult portion if you wish.
- Transfer to a closed container and keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. I wouldn't recommend freezing this as the texture becomes off due to the cornstarch.
Calories: 143kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 145mg | Potassium: 577mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3673IU | Vitamin C: 56mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 3mg