If you’re in need of a quick and healthy snack/meal that even the pickiest eaters will enjoy, you must make these broccoli barley casserole cups. Made with wholesome ingredients, like barley, broccoli, and Greek yogurt, it’s sure to satisfy the entire family’s appetite. Baked in a muffin pan, these cups are portable and freezer friendly, making them perfect for on-the-go snacks and traveling. They are also great for baby led weaning.
Barley is a delicious, high-fiber, high-protein whole grain! There are two different forms of barley, hulled and pearl, and I like to get the hulled because it still contains its bran (which means more fiber!), making it more nutritious, and the texture is chewier as well. 1 cup of cooked barley makes 3 cups cooked. I think 1 cup barley to 3 cups water works best!
I actually like to cook the barley and chop the vegetables the night before so that in the morning I can quickly combine all the ingredients and put it in the oven to serve to baby for his lunch. As you can see in the recipe notes section, feel free to add some extra protein into these cups. It will be a great way to use up leftover chicken, ground meat, etc. I decided to add some omega-3-rich sardines and the baby loved it! As with most casseroles, these cups taste even better with time.
Broccoli Barley Casserole Cups
- 1 cup barley
- 1 3/4 cups water or broth
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup whole fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup cheese divided (note)
- optional: for additional protein you can add chicken, beef, salmon, sardines, beans, etc.
to cook barley:
- Bring water and barley to boil over high heat and once it reaches a boil, lower the heat to simmer and cover. Barley will give off a lot of foam at first so keep an eye on the pot. Cook until it’s soft and chewy, about 40 minutes. You can also make it in the rice cooker if you have one. You can also make it ahead of time.
For the cups
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat lightly oiled pan over medium heat. Add chopped broccoli and bell peppers and cook until moisture has evaporated, about 5 min. Add tomato paste and seasonings and stir to incorporate, about a min. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, yogurt, cooled cooked barley, and 1/2 cup of cheese. Add veggies and mix until well incorporated.
- Divide mixture into greased muffin tin (see note)
- Sprinkle rest of cheese on top.
- Bake for about 25 min until lightly browned and crisp
For other barley recipes, check out: