This easy, gluten-free baked eggplant lasagna roll-ups with meat is the perfect, healthy comfort food that the entire family will enjoy! While I love my pasta, my 10 month old baby hasn’t opened up to it, not yet anyways. He loves his eggplants so I guess I should thank him for the inspiration for this dish.
The beauty of this recipe is its versatility. You can use whatever meat you’d like or can leave it out all together. This is also a great way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet so feel free to add whatever veggies you have in the fridge. Also, if you don’t care for eggplants, you can substitute with zucchini.
The most difficult part in making this dish is slicing the eggplants, but not if you use a mandolin! You’ll get even slices in no time. Also, baking the eggplants first makes them pliable so you can roll. I’ve found that lining the pan with parchment paper works the best. Even when I used an aluminum foil and greased it with oil, it was very difficult to lift the eggplants without tearing.
I added cheese to 1/2 of the pan for the husband and I while sprinkling a little bit of parmesan cheese on the baby’s portion.
Hope you enjoy this as much as our family!
Eggplant Lasagna Roll-Ups
- 2 medium eggplants cut lengthwise into 1/4 in. thick slices I ended up with 18 slices
- 1 1/2 cup no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 lb. ground turkey or other meat
- 2 cups of chopped veggies of choice I used 1 cup of broccoli, 1 small onion, 1 small yellow squash
- 2 big handfuls of spinach can use frozen. Just make sure to squeeze out all the water
- 1 large egg whisked
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- topping: shredded cheese of choice
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut the ends off the eggplants and cut lengthwise into 1/4 in. thick slices. I used a mandolin for this. place on parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with foil and bake until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, add a little bit of oil and saute meat. When cooked through, add spinach and veggies.
- Spread 1/4 cup of tomato sauce on the bottom of 13 x 9 in baking dish
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, cheese, and the meat veggie mixture.
- Spoon about 2 Tbs of the mixture onto one end of each eggplant slice. Roll up slices and place them seam side down in the prepared dish. Cover with remaining tomato sauce, top with cheese (you can decide how much), and cover with foil
- Bake for about 45 min- an hour, until eggplant is very tender. Remove from oven and let cool before serving.
My baby’s plate: