Every morning, I wake up excited for breakfast. Heck, I go to sleep thinking about what I’m going to devour when my internal clock awakens me. Lately, though, I’ve been in a breakfast rut…which I actually don’t mind. Something about having that same breakfast toast with eggs, almond butter & jelly with a cup of tea comforts me. The recent events that have taken place in my personal life have me on edge, and so being able to find a sense of consistency and control from the chaos of each day comforts me beyond words. And to think, skipping breakfast used to be part of the norm.
Is there anything more satisfying than enjoying some farm-fresh eggs boasting their vibrant, almost-orange yolks and snowy whites? At the Cedar Park Farmer’s Market, there’s always a line of eager faces waiting to replenish their empty egg cartons…myself included. It’s totally worth the wait.
Hard-boiled, over-easy, scrambled, fried, poached..I like any variation! On this particular morning, I decided to forego my usual toast and give into the spontaneous and up-beat mood I unexpectedly found myself in. It was a refreshing feeling. Thankfully my stomach didn’t have to wait long as everything came together rather quickly. I always have roasted sweet potatoes on hand, and I’ve been purchasing my fair share of mangoes as they have been smelling mighty sweet and delicious at the store. I probably could have cubed the veggies a bit smaller, but I just let my hands guide me. Whether you are in a breakfast rut or just looking for some new, wholesome ideas, I encourage you to give these tacos a try. They just may become your new go-to healthy meal ;).
Sweet Potato Mango Salsa
- 1 cup roasted sweet potatoes cubed
- 1 ripe mango peeled, pitted, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion diced small
- 1 avocado diced small
- 1 jalapeño minced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 Tbs fresh lime juice 1 lime
- salt and pepper to season
- 6 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 Tbs reduced-fat milk
- 8 corn tortillas
- Crumbled feta cheese
For the salsa
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
For the tacos
- Combine milk and eggs in a medium bowl and stir with a fork. Heat a nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Stir in eggs and cook until scrambled, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Toast the tortillas in a skillet over med-high heat for about a minute, or until slightly crisp. Transfer to a plate. Divide eggs among the tortillas. Top with salsa, feta cheese, and more cilantro if desired.