I pondered long and hard on how I could knock out as many veggies from my CSA box (thank you, Johnson’s Backyard Garden!) in one dish without it becoming a messy hodgepodge. This is our fourth box, and I’ve just been loving the whole element of surprise, not knowing what to expect. This is quite strange because if you know me at all, I’m not so keen on surprises. The Hungryman has long given up on trying to work his “magic” and planning extravagant “events” for me. He can be romantic like that, and I’m sure he’s still got it in him. Unfortunately, he married someone who clings to her “let’s plan everything to a T” mentality as if her life depended on it. The good news is that I’m starting to let my hair down and trying to embrace some occasional spontaneity. After all, life is too short. So, ahem…I’m ready for your magical touch, Hungryman ;). Bring it on!
Sorry. I got sidetracked. Focus… With this green bean and potato salad, I was able to use 4 items from the box – green beans, potatoes, basil, and red onion. Not too shabby. I tossed it in a bold but not over-powering lemon anchovy dressing. Anchovy seriously is the key ingredient here, and before I lose some of you, let me assure you that its flavor is subtle and gets mellowed out by all the other components. There are some people who can eat anchovies on top of toast or crackers. I’m not one of them. Snuck into dressings, like this Green Goddess Dressing? I’m all in!
I added hardboiled eggs for some protein. You could add beans instead to make this vegetarian or serve alongside the meat of your choice. I especially enjoyed it with grilled salmon. If you’ve got the honor of preparing the Father’s Day meal, this would be a perfect side dish to accompany grilled steak, perhaps, if he’s a meat and potatoes kind of man. The Hungryman said this would also make for a great Thanksgiving side dish. Are we really talking about Thanksgiving already? Then again, I can’t believe it’s already June…
- 1 Ib. green beans, rinsed and ends trimmed
- 2 lb. potatoes, sliced into ½ in. pieces and roasted
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Slice potatoes, toss with oil and salt & pepper, and roast in oven at 375F for 40-45 minutes, until browned and crisp.
- Meanwhile, blanch green beans in a large stock pot of well-salted boiling water until bright green in color and tender crisp, roughly 2 minutes. Drain water and shock in a bowl of ice water to stop from cooking.
- For the dressing - Add all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- When ready to serve, pour dressing over green beans, potatoes, and red onion. Toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange eggs on top.
Adapted from: The New York Times