This savory beetroot curry oatmeal with egg takes two minutes to cook in the microwave. It is a great way to serve more vegetables to your baby or toddler for breakfast. And the vibrant color is sure to spark your child’s interest!
I absolutely love oats because they are a blank canvas. They truly can take on any flavor. If you’ve only been enjoying them in sweet applications, oh you’re missing out!
And if you find yourself in an oatmeal breakfast rut, I hope this recipe will inspire you to get creative and adventurous!
Oats – Rolled oats will work best for this but you can use quick-cooking. Here’s how you can adjust the cooking time and the amount of liquid.
Egg – be sure to whisk it before mixing it in with other ingredients. You can leave it out if there’s an allergy. Here are some more easy egg recipes for babies.
Full-fat coconut milk – make sure it’s full fat, especially if your child is under 2 years of age.
Curry powder – Yes! you can introduce babies to herbs and spices from the start.
Spinach – You can use fresh or frozen.
Beets – this is a great way to repurpose beets. Cook a big batch (here’s my favorite way!) and enjoy throughout the week in various ways. They freeze well too.
Walnuts – be sure to finely grind for younger babies and then move onto finely chopped.
Ricotta – goes SO well with beets. If looking for non-dairy option, try adding some no sugar added coconut yogurt.
Step by Step Instructions
Combine all the ingredients minus beets, walnuts, and ricotta.
Microwave for 90 seconds. Stir and cook for an additional 30-45 seconds.
Stir in the beets, walnuts, ricotta.
It doesn’t get any easier than this!
Oh! And if you have any leftover beets and ricotta, give this beetroot pesto a try!!
More Breakfast Recipes for Babies
- Zucchini Bread Egg Oatmeal
- Sweet Potato Oatmeal
- 6 Single Serve Chia Puddings
- Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- Sweet and Savory Overnight Oats/Quinoa
Did you make this baby and toddler-friendly Microwave Beetroot Curry Oatmeal? Follow me on Instagram post a photo and tag me, post a photo on my Facebook page, or save it to Pinterest. I love to see what you’re making!
Microwave Beetroot Curry Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup (50g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 medium egg, whisked
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon curry powder, depending on preference
- a handful of spinach, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- Stir-ins: cooked chopped beets, walnuts, ricotta (amount dependent on preference)
- In a microwave-safe bowl or mug, mix all the ingredients (minus the stir-ins).
- microwave on high for 1 1/2 min, stir, and microwave for another 30-45 seconds, until desired consistency is achieved.
- Add the stir-ins.