So the madness has finally reached Austin — Trader Joe’s. At the risk of angering a great number of you, I’m gonna say it. I don’t know what all the fuss is about it. My sister is a HUGE fan and apparently MJ is too. So much so, that I found myself accompanying her to the grand opening. Can we say sensory overload?? I stood next to the bananas and tried my best not to get trampled by the masses. I will admit, it was pretty nice seeing MJ so giddy as she made her way around the store. And it wasn’t a complete loss for me either as I came away with a six pack of Rahr & Sons and some whole wheat pizza dough.
Shocked that I said whole wheat? Yeah. Me too. But MJ promised me that it would be delicious, so I was game to give it a try. Still trying to help out more around the house, I decided use the dough to attempt a Mexican-inspired pizza.
Thanks to MJ’s incredible pantry-stocking, everything I needed was already in the house. Well…almost everything. The carnivore inside of me was totally looking for some type of animal protein to add to the pie, but none was to be found. At the end of the day though, this pizza was so tasty that I didn’t even miss the meat…well, not too much ;).
In place of tomato sauce, I decided to do a diced tomato (I love Ro*Tel!) /black bean mixture. I had intended to mash the beans, but honestly, I got a little lazy and settled for the chunky style. I covered the base layer with a blanket of Mexican blend shredded cheese and proceeded to pile on some sliced bell pepper, onion, and mushroom.
After pulling the pie out of the oven, I finished it off with some fresh cilantro, slices of avocado, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. I was so proud of my creation, but when MJ laid eyes on it, her expression didn’t quite match how I was feeling. I think her exact words were, “Uh…looks a little dry. Did you overcook it?”. Did I mention one of my love languages is words of affirmation? Let me tell you. She was soon eating her words as she took that first bite. Her eyes sparkled a little as she happily took down a couple more bites. There was an earthy richness from the beans and avocado that didn’t sit heavy thanks to the vibrant cilantro and lime juice. And I must confess – the whole wheat pizza dough was pretty special. Crispy on the outside, chewy in the middle. Trader Joe’s – 1, Hungryman – 0
- Pre-made whole wheat pizza dough (I used Trader Joe's)
- 1 (16 oz) can no-sodium black beans, drained
- 1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel, drained
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 4 oz mushroom, sliced thinly
- ¼ red onion, sliced thinly
- 1½ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Sliced avocado and cilantro for topping
- Lime juice
- Preheat oven to 450F. Flour the work surface and evenly roll out dough to roughly 12-in across. Combine drained black beans and Ro-Tel in a bowl. Spread on top of dough. Top with cheese. Distribute veggies evenly. Bake until cheese has melted and crust turns crispy and lightly browned, approximately 10-15 minutes. Serve with cilantro and avocado. Lime juice really brightens up the dish.
- Are you a Trader Joe’s fanatic like MJ?
- What are your favorite not so classic pizzas? Here’s another one: Sweet Potato Stuffed Crust Pizza