I really miss those long-forgotten days when I got to kick back and enjoy 3+ hours of staring intently at the screen while cheering on the Longhorns or the Texans (but secretly the Colts). Ssh..don't tell the Hungryman. Why the Colts? I like to tell people that I have "personal" ties with the past and the present quarterback. If I've already shared the details, I apologize. It's one of those stories I never get tired of bragging about, as if I was a huge part of it. Peyton Manning and I met (although he doesn't know this) when he was the honorary speaker at the Emory senior graduation event. As for Andrew Luck, we are both Stratford High School alums. Heck, my little brother said he sat right in front of him in one of his classes. Apparently he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. See? Told you we had personal ties.
So there you have it…go Colts! I mean…Texans ;).
Lately, I've resorted to stealing glimpses of the games while making finger foods for the Hungryman to enjoy since as you know, he really works up an appetite. I don't want him to just munch mindlessly on junk food, so I don't mind the extra effort. Neither does he.
Today's finger food was inspired by the avocado club egg rolls from California Pizza Kitchen served with herbed ranch. While I love all the flavors of the original, you know that I'm not a fryer. The oven is my good friend and I'm forever loyal.
The directions are quite simple as they are with most of my recipes. Cook the bacon (no need to go crazy here...2 strips are plenty enough!), combine all the ingredients, lay them on egg roll wrappers and roll! You can find the 2 methods of folding the wrapper here.
As for the dip, I've cut out most of the fat by adding more Greek yogurt and less mayo and other artery-clogging culprits. If you are a fan of heat, you'll love the addition of jalapeño. If you are a total die-hard, then squirt in some sriracha at the end...as much or as little as your stomach can handle.
Hope you enjoy the recipe!
- 1 cup cooked chicken chopped
- 2 strips applewood smoked bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 small Haas avocados diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 Tbs chopped cilantro
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 8 egg roll wrappers
Spicy Ranch Dip
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbs mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Tbs finely diced jalapeño
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 Tbs chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray baking tray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling (sans eggroll wrappers).
- One at a time, lay the wrappers on a clean surface. Add filling (about ¼ cup) to the center. Fold the bottom edge/point over the filling, then fold in the left and right sides so that they overlap slightly. Roll up to enclose the filling, moistening the last edge/point with water to seal. Place on the greased tray and repeat with the remaining wrappers.
- Bake egg rolls for 10 minutes. Turn the egg rolls over and spray the other side. Bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with spicy ranch dip.