Happy New Year! As you may already know, I spent the holidays in Houston with my family. Unfortunately, I got really ill and came back to Austin earlier than planned. How sick? Well, this girl NEVER takes medicine, but this time, I was begging for more. I also lost my voice for the first time, which was such a horrendous experience. I just have too much to say all the time ;). On the other hand, I think my family appreciated the peace that resulted. The good news is, I'm starting to feel much better now.
I've been on a soft diet for the past several days, as it has been extremely painful to swallow - lots of Korean sweet potatoes, oatmeal, ice cream, Chobani...
While others were enjoying a "삼겹살," thick fatty slices of pork belly, party...
I ate lots of...
I didn't mind too terribly. I LOVE these sweet potatoes. They taste more like chestnuts. Have you ever had them?
As my throat seems to be opening up a bit more with each day, I set out to make my go-to chicken pasta dish. This recipe is a one pot wonder, and the clean up is a breeze. Most importantly, it comes together so quickly - total cooking time is less than 30 min! Have I sparked your interest? Here's the recipe ;).
- 1 Ib. chicken breast cubed to 1 in. pieces
- ¼ teaspoon italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoon EVOO
- 4 oz of pasta I used shell shaped quinoa pasta *
- 1 Tbs garlic minced (can use less if you're not a garlic lover like me)
- ½ med yellow onion sliced
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz can fired roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil I roughly chopped about 7 pieces
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- Basil torn for garnish
- * you can use any small shaped pasta e.g. orzo as you wish or different grains such as wheatberry, barley...
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Rub with Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and s&p.
- Heat 1 teaspoon EVOO in med skillet over med-high heat. Cook chicken until browned on both sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add 1 teaspoon EVOO, garlic, and onions until translucent, approx 5 min. Add tomato paste. Add broth, tomatoes, sugar, and pasta. Once it boils, add the chicken back in. Lower heat to med-low, cover the skillet, and cook until pasta is al dente, approx 10-15 min.
- Turn off the heat and stir in sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella. Sprinkle with basil. Serve.
It's spicy, hearty, and satisfying! Enjoy!
How did you bring in the New Year?
I tried to stay awake but was so drowsy from the NyQuil that I went to bed as soon as I hugged Tim and yelled "Happy New Year!"