A healthy, quick & easy way to serve up one of the most iconic comfort foods. This vegetarian sweet potato quinoa lasagna requires no boiling of noodles and assembly couldn’t be easier!
In life, mishaps are unavoidable, some more devastating than others. Perhaps your computer crashes suddenly, and you haven’t backed it up. Your research paper that you’ve been working on for months just “poof” disappears. And yes, I’ve experienced both this past year.
You can cry and scream all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that you simply have to pick up the pieces and just keep on marching. The more you know what you’re dealing with, obviously, the easier it is to try to “fix” it. However, if you have absolutely NO idea what you’re dealing with, well, then you can continue to raise hell and eventually move on.
And that my friends has been my coping mechanism in this high-tech blogging world where seriously, things just happen! Posts disappear, links stop working, and on and on. How can I troubleshoot when I don’t even know where to begin?
So you may be wondering, why I am sharing all this? Well for one, I just wanted to let out some pent-up frustration. But secondly, I just have to share my miraculous story!
You see, some time ago, one of my most popular recipes vanished, and how I found out was through this sweet email from a reader. Well, looking on the brighter side of things, I guess it’s one way of finding out if people are enjoying my recipes or not…
Since then, I’ve continued to get emails in regards to this recipe. Devastating really, and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve banged my head against the wall wondering why I didn’t bother to write down the recipe!
And then something magical happened. Another unexpected problem surfaced, but this time I sort of had an idea of how to fix it. While I was fooling around with it, I stumbled upon the missing post I’d been agonizing over! I literally jumped out of my seat with my arms and legs doing I don’t know what.
A bit dramatic? Perhaps. But it’s a big deal for me.
Now the issue was how to make the link work (crickets chirping in the background)…yeah..let’s not go there. Instead, I’ve decided to repost the recipe. Hope you guys enjoy this recipe. I sure am happy to have it in my hands once again!
- 3 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce or prepared pasta sauce
- 1 tub 15oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. On a large baking sheet, spread sweet potatoes and cauliflower tossed with oil. Roast for 25-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, coat a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 15 min. Fluff with a fork. Evenly spread the quinoa in the prepared baking dish.
- Combine ricotta cheese and egg in a medium bowl; mix well. Stir in parmesan, basil, and oregano.
- Spread half of the sauce over the quinoa. Make a layer of the roasted veggies, then all the ricotta mixture. Finish with the remaining sauce and spread mozzarella on top.
- Bake the lasagna until it is hot and the cheese is melted, bubbling and slightly browned around the edges, 30-35 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
You can also find this recipe on the Healthy Aperture blog, where I contribute monthly to the Make Ahead column.