Every year, it seems as though once that first cold front rolls in, prompting all the fashionistas and non-fashionistas (me!) alike to sport those cute blazers and boots of all styles, there’s one food that’s on everyone’s mind – pumpkin. So I thought I’d join the movement and share with you a recipe for Pumpkin and Kale Lasagna Roll-Ups.
When I told my husband what I was about to make, he made the ugliest-looking face I’ve yet to see. Wow…I guess I should’ve seen that coming as the 2 key ingredients are in his top 10 “must-avoid” foods list, although he’s slowly opening up to kale, thanks to this Hot Spinach Kale Dip. So, if a family member or friend refuses to eat wholesome foods, keep shoving it in their face. They will come around…hopefully sooner than later ;).
Pumpkin and Kale Lasagna Roll-Ups
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz mushroom chopped
- 1 bunch or 3 cups kale, roughly chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine (or broth of choice)
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 15 oz ricotta
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups favorite tomato sauce I used spicy marinara sauce
- 12 Lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over med heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, approx 5-7 min. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 2 min. Add mushroom and kale and cook down, approx 5-7 min. Pour in wine and cook until reduced. Stir in herbs, season w/ salt and pepper (stir some more), and turn off heat.
- Meanwhile, bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook as directed. Drain and lay lasagna noodles out flat on a baking sheet or a flat surface to cool.
- Combine pumpkin, 1 egg, ricotta cheese, 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, and kale mixture in a bowl. Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assembly: Spray 9 X 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Line bottom with ½ cup of marinara sauce. Take ⅓ cup of filling and spread evenly over noodle. Carefully roll and place seam side down into baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles. Top rolled noodles with remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese. (Make-ahead: to store or freeze, cover lasagna tightly with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil.)
- Bake: Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 min. Remove foil and bake for additional 5 min, or until cheese is melted on top. Remove from oven and serve warm.