Every year, it seems as though once that first cold front rolls in, prompting all the fashionistas and non-fashionistas (me!) alike to sport those cute blazers and boots of all styles, there’s one food that’s on everyone’s mind – pumpkin. So I thought I’d join the movement and share with you a recipe for Pumpkin and Kale Lasagna Roll-Ups.
When I told my husband what I was about to make, he made the ugliest-looking face I’ve yet to see. Wow…I guess I should’ve seen that coming as the 2 key ingredients are in his top 10 “must-avoid” foods list, although he’s slowly opening up to kale, thanks to this Hot Spinach Kale Dip. So, if a family member or friend refuses to eat wholesome foods, keep shoving it in their face. They will come around…hopefully sooner than later ;).
Pumpkin and Kale Lasagna Roll-Ups
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz mushroom chopped
- 1 bunch or 3 cups kale, roughly chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine (or broth of choice)
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 15 oz ricotta
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups favorite tomato sauce I used spicy marinara sauce
- 12 Lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over med heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, approx 5-7 min. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 2 min. Add mushroom and kale and cook down, approx 5-7 min. Pour in wine and cook until reduced. Stir in herbs, season w/ salt and pepper (stir some more), and turn off heat.
- Meanwhile, bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook as directed. Drain and lay lasagna noodles out flat on a baking sheet or a flat surface to cool.
- Combine pumpkin, 1 egg, ricotta cheese, 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, and kale mixture in a bowl. Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assembly: Spray 9 X 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Line bottom with ½ cup of marinara sauce. Take ⅓ cup of filling and spread evenly over noodle. Carefully roll and place seam side down into baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles. Top rolled noodles with remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese. (Make-ahead: to store or freeze, cover lasagna tightly with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil.)
- Bake: Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 min. Remove foil and bake for additional 5 min, or until cheese is melted on top. Remove from oven and serve warm.
Looks so good! I can't get kale where I live. Do you think spinach would work? Thanks!
Hi Jennie! Most definitely! Spinach would work beautifully ;). Enjoy and thank you for stopping by.
I would imagine my husband would give me the same look if I told him I was making this.....so I just wouldn't tell him! I'm sure it's AMAZING tasting and he would end up loving it 🙂
Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl says
Super cute blog and love these yummy roll ups! Thanks for posting this at the Saturday Night Fever link party. Hope to see you back on Saturday!
Abbie @ Needs Salt says
Oh my goodness. oh my goodness. This looks phenomenal!! Can you come over and make this for dinner for me tonight? pleeeease?
I love this lasagna dish, it looks wonderful! I could eat kale all the time and love that you snuck it into the lasagna along with pumpkin - hehe, that's too funny, your hubby sounds like mine about veggies - just stumbled on your blog and it looks fantastic! Pinned :)Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe Min:)
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor says
Min, these lasagna rolls ups look great. I love the combination of pumpkin and kale!
Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes says
I love pumpkin and kale! These sound delish, Min! Thanks for linking up to All My Bloggy Friends this week - I'll be sharing this on Facebook!
Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious says
Pumpkin and kale - my two favorite ingredients!
Amy | Club Narwhal says
Min, these look so awesome! What a great combination of fall flavors. And the fact that it is all wrapped up in delicious lasagna noodles--well, I am just dancing in my seat 🙂 Looks fabulous!
Kari @ bite-sized thoughts says
Kale and pumpkin in lasagna roll up form? This sounds so perfectly fall like it is wonderful 🙂
Jen and Emily @ Layers of Happiness says
Ooooohhh!! Yum! I've been wanting to make your regular Lasagna Roll-ups for forever now... but now I really really want to make them soon... and I really really want to make these too! Haha!
felicia | Dish by Dish says
Hahha, min, Tim is hilarious. I can imagine him in his burger & fries t-shirt making a face when you tell him about kale and pumpkin. You guys are so cute together! This lasagna looks great! Especially for you guys now that there are more days of cooler temperatures! It's getting warmer here in BA and I'm loving it! Finally, no more winter jackets, just sleeveless tops and dresses!!!
Ooh these look so delicious 🙂