As I write this, my mind is running a million miles per minute. And if you don’t know what I mean by that, oh teach me your zen ways! I admit. A part of me compels me to tell you this in hopes that I’ll get away with grammatical errors. However, it’s mainly to announce that…. We have a house!!! Our epic house hunting journey (with 7 rejected offers) finally came to an end last weekend. Boy, we sure can testify to the truth that is – it’s TOTALLY a seller’s market! In any case, the Hungryman and I are THRILLED (and somewhat scared) to establish roots in this new place.
// Our soon-to-be backyard! Time to grow a green thumb (with the quickness. HELP!!)
On the other hand, this also means we’ve got to pack up everything and put our house on the market in less than 2 weeks!! I sure am going to miss this house…our first home. I’ve been going down memory lane from the first day we purchased the land, to driving by every night to see the framework going up, to customizing everything (floors, lights, fixtures, you name it!), to that very first night when we slept on the floor to “break in” the house…just the three of us… Yes, my mind is racing and my emotions are a complete wreck. Not a good combination.
I’m also going to be without a kitchen (well, technically I can still use it, but I don’t want to make a mess) for some time depending on how quickly we can get our house sold. While I hope to do some meal prep in advance, realistically speaking, it may not happen. But that’s in the future and this is now. Luckily for you, I have another Cook Once, Eat Thrice gluten-free meal prep inspiration to share with you today! As before, all these meals are Gluten-Free.
Here’s the Game Plan:
Over the weekend or whenever you find time:
- Bake salmon (I kept it simple – olive oil, salt and pepper)
- Cook Rice and lentils
- Make Tzatziki sauce
- Roast carrots
- Prep vegetables: Chop cucumbers, tomatoes; wash and dry greens (I chose baby kale spring mix); slice red cabbage
I purchased a HUGE fillet of wild-caught Norwegian salmon from Costco, and decided to use 2/3 of it (froze the rest). I kept it simple by drizzling some olive oil, sprinkling himilayan salt and freshly ground black pepper, and baked it in the oven at 400F for about 20 minutes. Slice into 4 oz. fillets and store in an airtight container.
When making the tzatziki sauce, it’s important to squeeze out as much water from the cucumbers as possible so that you don’t end up with a super thin and watery sauce. The direction may seem super tedious, but it’s super easy! Slice cucumber in half lengthwise, remove seeds with a spoon, and dice into small pieces. Then place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and let it stand for 30 minutes to draw out all the water.
The full recipe can be found here: Sunny Greek Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 2 (4oz.) fillet salmon
- 1 cup red cabbage, sliced thinnly
- 2 cups salad greens of choice (I used baby kale mix)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup cucumbers, sliced
- tzatziki sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F. Season salmon with himilayan salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Divide all the ingredients evenly onto 2 bowls. Add as much or little of tzatziki sauce as desired.
Asian salmon-stiry fry
So you don’t feel like you’re eating Greek food all week long. I used frozen vegetables for this one. And if you didn’t know already, day old rice was meant for fried rice! To keep this gluten-free, I used coconut aminos in place of soy sauce, a little bit of Thai chili garlic sauce, and my personal favorite – sesame oil and seeds.
Lentil salad with roasted carrots and sunny side up egg.
All this goes to show, once again, that as long as you have all the ingredients prepped in advance, it’s just a matter of finding creative ways to assemble them into various healthy and delicious meals you can feel good about eating!
- Cook Once, Eat Thrice: Grilled Chicken Shawarma
- Cook Once, Eat Thrice Part 1: Slow-Cooker Sesame Orange Chicken
- Meal Prep Friday – 5.8.15
- Meal Prep Friday – 5.1.15
- Meal Prep Friday – 4.24.15
- Meal Prep Friday – 4.17.15
- Meal Prep Friday – 4.10.15
- Meal Prep Friday – 3.27.15
- Meal Prep Friday – National Nutrition Month Edition
- How to build the perfect mason jar salad
- Meal Prep Friday 2.27.15
- Meal Prep Friday 2.20.15