Start your day right with this Greek quinoa breakfast bowl topped with a sunny side up egg. You’ll fall in love with this flavorful and nutritious bowl!
Disclosure: I received coupons for free samples of Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
My mornings are the least crazy and my most favorite time of day. Yup. You read that correctly. It’s when my mind is the sharpest (guess when I’m writing this post) and my spirit at its highest. I wake up super excited to spend several hours in solitude as I diligently cross things off my to-do list just to start an entirely new one. So it’s no surprise that breakfast is hands down my favorite meal of the day. Since I wake up around 5, I normally have 2 breakfasts. One within 30 minutes of waking up and another one a couple of hours later before going into work.
Eggs are definitely one of my go-to bfast items. While I tend to gravitate toward the higher carb foods, like steel cut oats and fruits, I’ve discovered over the years that simply adding an egg (or other good protein source) not only increases my satiety level but helps me power through my mornings.
And yes, I do add eggs to my overnight oats sometimes, which ALWAYS raises eyebrows whenever I tell people. The Hungryman wants no part of it. Oh wells. I’m just going to march to the beat of my own drum ;).
Now, when I tell people that I love a runny yolk, I’m more often than not met with a resounding, “so do I!” I love piercing my poached or sunny side up egg with my fork and the delicious mess it creates. However, I also know many people feel uneasy about consuming partially cooked eggs.
So I introduce you to Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs. First time I heard of these eggs was at the Blog Brûlée Conference. What makes them special is that they not only taste great, but they are pasteurized in an all-natural warm water bath, eliminating the risk of Salmonella. And yes, all the nutrients are retained. With a peace of mind, you can safely use them in raw applications, such as salad dressings and desserts like mousses and ice creams. Today, I share with you a savory Greek quinoa breakfast bowl with a sunny side up egg.
I’ve really been on a Greek/Mediterranean cuisine kick lately. Over the weekend, I made a huge batch of tzatziki sauce to enjoy throughout the week and thought, why not enjoy it for breakfast?
- 1 small Persian cucumber 10 oz
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill must use fresh!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Himilayan salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups Plain Greek Yogurt I used full fat but fat-free but any type will work
- Peel cucumber, slice in half lengthwise, remove seeds with a spoon, and dice into small pieces. Place in a colander, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, toss, and allow to rest 30 minutes to draw all the water out. Rinse the pieces and squeeze out the excess liquid using a paper towel or cheese cloth.
- Place the cucumber in a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients through black pepper. Process until well blended. Stir the misture into the yogurt. Add more salt to taste if needed. Place in the refrigerate for at least 2 hours for the flavors to develop.
The Hungryman definitely did not raise his eyebrows at this one. The runny yolk is what truly makes this dish as it spreads its rich and velvety goodness all over the food. While I say breakfast, this bowl can be enjoyed anytime of the day. I added feta cheese for lunch, and it was delish!