Just a handful of simple ingredients and 5 minutes are all it takes to make this nut-free vegan cream cheese with tofu. Enjoy as a tasty spread or dip!
Best Vegan Cream Cheese
As you may know, I am not vegan and I love regular cream cheese. Bagels and cream cheese single-handedly got me through my first trimester with my second child, and for that, they will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart.
So why this tofu cream cheese? Because I also happen to heart tofu and am always looking for fun ways to incorporate more variety into my family's diet.
Tofu is also a great source of plant-based protein and iron, THE most essential nutrient for babies.
I want to tell you up front that this doesn’t taste like classic cream cheese. But I believe you will appreciate this plant-based twist!
You should also try this tofu mayo ;).
- Tofu - use extra firm tofu for best results. Do not use silken tofu as you will end up with runny spread. You can save this type of tofu for sauces instead (you HAVE to try this sweet potato sauce!)
- Tahini - A little goes a long way! It adds great flavor and adds healthy fat. It also helps make the cream cheese silky smooth.
- Apple cider vinegar and fresh lemon juice - Impart tanginess and acidity to the cream cheese.
- Nutritional yeast - for the "cheesy" flavor. You can leave out and add salt to taste
- Seasonings: onion powder, garlic powder, salt
- Pat the tofu to remove excess moisture. There's no need to press.
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. You will need to stop and scrape down the sides.
- Taste and add more seasonings.
Tips for Success
- If sharing with your baby, I recommend setting aside a portion before adding the salt to taste. Here's why you want to be mindful of your baby's sodium intake.
- I like to use the combination of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice for the tangy flavor. You can just use one, if you desire, and adjust the amount to taste.
- If using a blender, you will need to scrape down the walls so that all the mixture will reach the blade.
- If the mixture is too thick one blended, add any plant-based milk of choice (such as almond milk), 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- You can eat right away, but I recommend refrigerating for at least an hour for the flavors to meld and intensify. I also like my cream cheese chilled, so there's that.
This dairy-free tofu cream cheese is delicious plain, but just like with the regular version, you can flavor it in so many ways. Here are some suggestions. To the basic recipe, add:
- Garlic AND fresh herbs, such as dill, chives, scallion, basil, parsley
- Vegetables - finely chopped green onions, carrots, bell peppers, zucchini, spinach, cucumber, or even broccoli sprinkles! It will be a great way to add more vegetables into your child's diet
- Everything bagel seasoning....such a magical invention
- White miso paste - if you desire an extra umami and stronger flavor. Start with 1 teaspoon and add more to taste.
There are so many ways to enjoy this non-dairy cream cheese with your baby or child!
- Spread on toasted bread, bagel, or english muffin
- Add to wraps and sandwiches
- Serve as a dip for vegetables (e.g. slices of cucumber) and crackers. It's perfect for muffin tin meals!
- Toss with pasta
- Add to oatmeal or lentil balls for savory breakfasts
It will be great for school lunch boxes too!
Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Give it a good stir before serving. I don't recommend freezing as the texture will turn grainy.
More Tofu Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Leave a rating below and let me know how you liked the recipe! Your feedback means so much to me!
Tofu Cream Cheese
- 8 ounce extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, see note
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Pat the tofu with paper towel. Roughly break it up with your hands.
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. You will need to stop and scrape down the sides. Taste and add more seasonings.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Enjoy!
- I suggest first starting with this base recipe and once blended, add more lemon juice, vinegar, or nutritional yeast, and salt to taste.
- Set aside a portion for your baby before adding the salt.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Give it a good stir before serving. I don't recommend freezing as the texture will turn grainy.