Welcome to another edition of Cook Once, Eat Thrice. In case you missed it, check out this slow-cooker sesame orange chicken from last week. As I shared in my previous post, I’ve been spending much time in the kitchen developing both gluten-free AND dairy-free recipes for my clients. Personally, not adding cheese to my creations has proven to be most challenging so far. I want to take a moment to give a shoutout to a couple of fellow RD bloggers, Gretchen and EA, who I had the privilege of meeting at the inaugural Blog Brulee Conference last year. I’ve been gaining sooo many inspirations/tips from their gluten free blogs and have been recommending them to all of my clients. You, too, should check out their work if you haven’t done so already.
In any case, let’s dive right into how this grilled chicken shawarma can be transformed and enjoyed 3 different ways during the week.
Over the weekend or whenever you find time
- Make grilled chicken shawarma and tahini sauce
- Roast cauliflower florets (I seasoned them with turmeric and ginger)
- Clean and chop vegetables – tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, parsley
- Cook a batch of quinoa
- Cook up a big batch of chickpeas (and freeze whatever you’re not using). Here’s what I do once every month. You’ll never want to buy canned beans again.
Grilled chicken Shawarma with a drizzle of tahini sauce served alongside quinoa and roastsed cauliflower
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- ½ cup tahini sesame seed paste
- 3 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, more if necessary
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lukewarm water (or more for desired consistency)
Arugula salad with chickpeas, grape tomatoes, walnuts, cauliflower, and orange slices. I suggest thinning out the tahini sauce you made earlier to drizzle over the salad.
Mediterranean quinoa salad. In a bowl, mix together quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, parsley, and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Add sliced avocado and the chicken (no need to reheat).
As you can see, all these meals can be on the table in <5 minutes if you follow the game plan. Once you get in the habit of meal prepping in advance, you’ll find that eating healthfully throughout the week is a breeze!
Past Meal Prep Inspirations:
- Cook Once, Eat Thrice Part 1: Slow-Cooker Sesame Orange Chicken
- Meal Prep Friday – 5.8.15
- Meal Prep Friday – 5.1.15
- Meal Prep Friday – 4.24.15
- Meal Prep Friday – 4.17.15
- Meal Prep Friday – 4.10.15
- Meal Prep Friday – 3.27.15
- Meal Prep Friday – National Nutrition Month Edition
- How to build the perfect mason jar salad
- Meal Prep Friday 2.27.15
- Meal Prep Friday 2.20.15