The Hungryman and I had been looking forward to this past weekend for a very long time. For once, we didn’t have any plans and neither of us had much work to do. The unfamiliar frigid weather presented the perfect opportunity for lounging around in our PJs all weekend long, and that’s exactly what we did. We got some takeout (which happens very rarely), caught up on some TV shows, the Hungryman brewed beer (he shall be sharing about this endeavor soon), and I baked biscotti. If we were going to be cooped up inside, the sweet aroma of fresh baked goods was a must! With the holidays coming up, my inspiration for this treat comes from all the flavors I love during this time – cranberries + pistachios, peppermint, and of course, chocolate.
I slightly adapted from my almond blueberry biscotti made with whole wheat pastry flour. Seriously, biscotti are so easy to bake and can be made ahead of time.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbs butter melted
- 1 Tbs orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ¾ cup pistachios pieces
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup crushed mint candy
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine wet ingredients in another bowl and add to dry mixture. Stir until well blended. Stir in cranberries and pistachios. Knead dough in the bowl. It will become sticky so lightly flour your hands or coat them with cooking spray before shaping it into logs. Divide dough in half and shape each half into a log. Place dough logs on a greased baking sheet. Flatten each log to 1 in. thickness.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until slightly golden. Remove logs from pan and place on wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Cut into ½ in. slices on the diagonal using a serrated knife.
- Lower oven temperature to 250°F. Arrange slices cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Flip and bake on other side for an additional 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In the meantime, melt chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. Dip cooled biscotti to about ¼-inch depth and smooth with a spatula. Sprinkle with candy crumbles. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet and refrigerate to set.