It feels so great to breathe in dust-free air. The cleaners came yesterday and cleaned 4+ months of filth. I was incredibly embarrassed when they had to scrub and labor intensively for hours on end. Eeks! I may like to cook but I sure don't like to clean. Therefore, I happily designated it as the Hunryman's job. He's a lot more organized (borderline obsessive) and has his particular way of doing things like folding laundry. I told you we're a match made in heaven ;). However, since he's been working a lot more than usual due to the new position he took at work, the Swiffer mop has been stationary and the
mounds trails of crumbs are multiplying. Apparently I'm a messy eater. I even contemplated whether or not I should put Kona, my dog and personal vacuum cleaner, on top of the kitchen countertop to get rid of any food particles so that I wouldn't have to lift a finger..but that wouldn't be so sanitary now would it? I'm not that dirty. Lazy? Yes.
Anyway, what's important is that the house is now spotless. The kitchen was especially inviting so I decided to made cookies. No worries. I made sure to wipe down the countertop. This won't last long...
This cookie totally happened by accident. The Hungryman and I were out shopping when we passed by a cookie stand. He wanted cookie cake. I told him he could either get a slice of cookie cake now or wait till we got home where I would bake a fresh batch of homemade cookies. What a sweet wife I am! 😉 Well, needless to say, he enthusiastically went with option #2. I thought I had all the ingredients, but when it came time to add the vanilla extract, I came to the realization that I had run out. Hello, panic mode. Luckily, I had almond extract, so I thought what da heck. It was worth a shot.
While the Hungryman does not like whole wheat cookies, he was blown away by this one! Upon first bite, he said it tasted just like an amaretto cookie. That was totally not my intention, but we were onto something. He also thought that the earthiness and the denseness of the whole wheat was very appropriate for this cookie.
Buttery. Slightly crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside. That's the kind of cookie we like. Make this cookie and share with the whole world! Who doesn't like a home-baked cookie? 😉
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Sift together flour, oats, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and almond extract and beat again. Add dry ingredients gradually. Be careful not to over mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Using a small ice cream scooper, scoop dough onto baking sheet lined with Silpat or parchment paper. Place in oven and bake for about 10-12 min, or until edges become lightly browned. Let cool on a wired rack.
Total Carbs: 23.1g * Sodium: 192mg * Fiber: 0.8g * Sugars:12.8g * Protein: 2