This quick and easy, ultimate comfort food that is not only healthy but irresistibly delicious! The flavors of the beloved pizza are all baked to ooey-gooey perfection in this chicken spinach pizza couscous casserole.
Hope you had a wonderful and delicious holiday with your loved ones! If you are anything like me, you may be experiencing holiday withdrawal this week. Although I mentally prepare myself every time, the transition from taking a brief pause in life to being thrust back into work and the daily grind is never an easy one.
To be quite honest with you, closing down my kitchen for a week was quite glorious! Even though I love to cook, it’s so nice to have other people pamper you from time to time.
However, perhaps I was a bit too spoiled because I’m having a really rough time getting myself back in the kitchen. I definitely failed at meal prepping for this first week of 2016, but that’s ok. I’m sure I’ll get back into the swings of things soon.
After all, having a meal prep routine is one of the most important components of eating healthfully throughout the week. Let me add eating breakfast every day to that list as well. Be sure to check out my healthy and easy breakfast tips and recipes for some inspiration!
If becoming a healthier new is or has been your New Year’s goal for many years, I hope 2016 is a year full of fostering habits that will turn your goal into a permanent lifestyle rather than a temporary mission.
In any case, if you are feeling like me and requiring a slow transition back into real life, what you need right now (or perhaps all the time) is a quick and easy 30-minute meal with minimal ingredients. I’m sure leftovers for days doesn’t sound too shabby either ;).
Enter this chicken spinach pizza couscous casserole. It’s basically the flavors of the beloved pizza all baked to ooey-gooey perfection. What I love about this meal is that you can load it up with whatever vegetables you have on hand without worrying about the dough getting soggy. It’s a great way to clean up your fridge as well!
Chicken Pizza Couscous Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups dry whole-wheat couscous
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 8 ounces portabella mushrooms, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 big handfuls of baby spinach
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup tomato sauce or prepared pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook couscous: pour 1 1/2 cups of water into a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour couscous into the saucepan. Stir well. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish with olive oil. Set aside.
- Add oil to a large pan or skillet and saute onions and mushrooms over medium heat for 5-8 minutes, or until softened. Add tomato paste and mix thoroughly. Next, stir in spinach and chicken and cook for about 2-3 minutes until spinach just starts to wilt.
- Evenly spread the couscous in the prepared baking dish. Spread sauce over the couscous. Make a layer of the vegetables and chicken. Finally spread 1 cup of mozzarella on top. If preparing ahead, stop here and wrap the dish with plastic wrap and then foil
- Bake (covered) for about 20-25 minutes.