A simple, healthy make ahead vegetarian meal that the whole family will enjoy! This Mexican lentil and chard breakfast casserole is packed with hearty ingredients and can be served anytime of the day.
I heart you, casseroles. When the weather gets cooler and I want to spend more time cuddled up in my blanket than in the kitchen, you always come to my rescue. Simple, convenient, easily adaptable, economical, healthy (depending on what you add)..I mean how could I not put you in the oven to get all happy and delicious.
Yes, there are TONS of casserole recipes out there. But depending on the ingredients added, they can become quite unique and unforgettable, like this breakfast casserole with lentils and chard. Even though I say breakfast (simply because it’s got eggs in it), you can totally enjoy this any time of the day.
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups swiss chard stems removed
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 6 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Toppings: avocado cilantro, salsa, ketchup, etc
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease an 8x8 baking pan and set aside.
- To cook the lentils: Rinse under running water. Transfer to a saucepan and pour in 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until they are tender. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. If making in advance, store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- In a large bowl, mix together the lentils and the vegetables. In another bowl, combine the eggs and the seasonings. Pour the egg mixture over the lentil mixture and toss until well-combined. Spread the mixture evenly into the baking dish. Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Take out of the oven, sprinkle cheese evenly on top, and place under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with avocado, cilantro, salsa or ketchup.