This nut-free broccoli white bean pesto packs in so many nutrients with minimal effort! It's a great way to incorporate veggies and important nutrients, like iron, into your baby and toddler's diet. Quick and easy, fresh, and packed with flavor, it goes perfectly with pasta, sandwiches, pizza, vegetables, salads, and so much more!
I absolutely adore pesto. It’s such an effortless and delicious way to enjoy fresh ingredients, and its versatility with both the ingredients and uses is unmatchable. Typically, it’s made with fresh basil, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, and cheese, BUT it's so much fun to put a twist on the classic, no?
Let's see..currently, I'm thinking kale, arugula, parsley, beets, red peppers, avocado, pine nuts, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, gouda, cheddar cheese…you get my point. Endless possibilities! I highly encourage you to have fun experimenting with different greens, nuts, and cheeses!
Spread this baby-friendly pesto on pizza, pasta, sandwiches, veggie, mix it into dips (like Greek yogurt, guacamole), drizzle over scrambled eggs, mix into salad dressings, use as a marinade for meat or fish. I’m pretty sure I’ve left out something.
Other Baby-Friendly Dips/Sauces:
- Pumpkin seed spinach hummus
- Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Dip
- Beet Sauce
- Vegan Curried Pumpkin Cheese Dip
- Baby-Friendly Tofu Mayo
- Cauliflower Cashew Alfredo Sauce
Did you make this baby and toddler-friendly Nut-Free Vegetable Muffins? Follow me on Instagram post a photo and tag me, post a photo on my Facebook page, or save it to Pinterest. I love to see what you’re making!
Broccoli White Bean Pesto
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- 1 small garlic clove , can use ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup packed basil leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (can use other white beans)
- 1 cup packed spinach
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup grated parmesan can add less, leave out all together, or add nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In food processor or blender, process all the ingredients, scraping the sides periodically, until blended and smooth
- Can add more oil/water if thinner consistency desired.
- If you are feeling a bit nervous that garlic might be too spicy for your baby, you can add less or leave out entirely, if you wish. But I highly encourage you to add a little bit! It's a great flavor exposure 😉
- If you can't get your hands on fresh basil, then you can use ½ cup spinach instead. But if you are able to, I highly encourage you to try it in this recipe! Adds a delightful dimension to the dish