This fall inspired ultimate comfort meal, one pot parmesan pumpkin quinoa, is super easy to make, healthy, and delicious! It’s vegetarian, naturally gluten free and makes for a perfect weekday meal that the whole family can enjoy together!
When I asked on Instagram @kidfriendly.meals what type of recipes you’d like to see more of, there was an overwhelming request for quick and easy weeknight meal recipes! And what could be easier than a one pot meal packed with nourishing ingredients.
You can honestly use up whatever vegetable you have on hand! This is a great way to serve quinoa to your little ones as well bc the tiny grains won’t go flying everywhere! Hope you enjoy this meal as much as we do!
One Pot Parmesan Pumpkin Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium parsnip chopped into ¼in. pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 8 ounce portobello mushroom roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 15 ounce can no-sodium added chickpeas rinsed and drained (can also use cannellini beans)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 ½ cups low sodium broth of choice
- 1 cup spinach can use frozen, be sure to squeeze out as much water as possible
- ½ cup grated parmesan see note
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add the remaining vegetables with the spices and cook for about 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally so everything gets well-incorporated
- Add chickpeas, pumpkin, and quinoa and give it a good stir. Add the broth. Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or so, until most of the liquid is evaporated and quinoa is nice and fluffy.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the spinach and parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste.