It is so easy to make homemade no salt taco seasoning blend at home with just a handful of accessible and flavorful spices.
Homemade No Salt Taco Seasoning Blend
Before I became a mom, I used store-bought taco seasoning packets for years. But then came time for starting solids with my firstborn, and I realized just how much sodium is in them. A crazy amount!
However, I still wanted to introduce my baby to all the incredible flavors of Mexican cuisine.
Whether you are watching your sodium intake or cooking for baby, you will love how EASY it is to whip up your own taco seasoning. You will be amazed by how flavorful it is even without the extra sodium and all the extra fillers, like maltodextrin and silicone dioxide.
I am highlighting just the ones that need further explanation. The complete list is in the recipe card below.
- Chili powder - It is mild to moderately spicy so don't worry that your baby wonn'nt be able to handle it. Be sure to look at the ingredient list and make sure there's no salt listed. However, if you unable to find one, you can still use it just note that the taco seasoning blend will be low sodium rather than no sodium. It will still be less sodium than the store-bought mixes.
- Cumin - adds warmth and earthy flavor.
- Smoked paprika - this is seriously one of my FAV spice to cook with! Just a small amount can add so much flavor to whatever you're making!
- Mexican oregano
Combine all the ingredients and transfer to a container. That's it!
Tips for Success
- You will end up with about 3 tablespoons total. You can easily make a bigger batch by doubling or tripling the recipe. Note that you will need about 2 tablespoons to season 1 pound of meat.
- Adjust the ratios depending on your preference! Follow the recipe as is and then add more of your favorite spices. For instance, I personally love to add more smoked paprika and garlic powder.
- If you want to add a little salt, you can add about ¼ teaspoon. It will still be much lower in sodium compared to the packaged ones.
- Store in a mini mason jar and keep along with the rest of your spices.
This homemade taco seasoning blend is super versatile and a great way to introduce your baby or child to a wide range of flavors.
You can sprinkle a little onto your baby or child's:
Use for cooking:
Keep in your jar or container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months! Be sure to give it a good stir before using.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a rating below and let me know how you liked the recipe! Your feedback means so much to me!
No Salt Taco Seasoning Blend
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a jar.