A traditional Greek comfort food gets a fun and healthy makeover in this Tex-Mex Moussaka. Layered with flavor-packed meat and veggie sauce, corn tortilla, and Greek yogurt sauce, this casserole is sure to become your go-to, quick and easy meal that you can whip up even on your busiest days.
This recipe was totally inspired my random but awesome purchase of eggplants at the store. I mean it was 2 for $1, and it didn’t matter the size, so of course I tried to find the biggest one. But then I got home and just stared at the eggplants not knowing what to do with them. So I googled “eggplant recipes” and a classic Greek dish, moussaka totally caught my eye.
Now this dish really deviates from the traditional version because 1) I am too lazy to slice the eggplants really thin and fry them and 2) I wanted to make this baby-friendly. However, it has all the flavors and components of moussaka so that’s what I’m calling it.
So instead, I diced the eggplants and threw the cubes in with the rest of the ingredients to make this a one pot meal. Once you finish cooking the beef and veggie mixture, you can honestly stop right there and serve with various whole grains or pasta.
But go a step further and you can enjoy this scrumptious, hearty bake! It will make this dish more finger friendly as well. I’m calling this Tex-Mex moussaka because I used corn tortilla (I seriously racked my brain over what to call this dish), but you can also use flour tortilla or lasagna noodles. And instead of the classic béchamel sauce, I spread a layer of creamy sauce that contains one of Caleb’s favorite food, whole fat Greek yogurt.
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 pound eggplant peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 large russet potato peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or can use 1-2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 14 ounce can no salt added tomato sauce
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup whole fat Greek yogurt
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large pan, cook meat over med-high heat until browned and cooked through, breaking up large chunks. Add in all the vegetables and seasonings cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce. Bring pan to boil, then simmer and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, egg, and cheese together.
- In a greased 13x9 inch baking dish, arrange 5-6 tortillas. Layer with half of the meat and veggie mixture. Add another layer of tortilla and pour the remaining sauce on top. Spread the Greek yogurt mixture evenly on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.