Healthy crustless salmon quiche that the whole family can enjoy, including babies 6 months and older! Packed with essential nutrients for babies, these savory muffin pan quiche are great for breakfast, snack, and lunchboxes.
Salmon For Babies
This low-mercury fish is a nutrient powerhouse and can be introduced as soon as your baby is ready to start solids, generally around 6 months.
- Delivers a healthy punch of omega-3 fatty acids during this time of rapid brain development.
- Is a great source of high-quality protein.
- Is one of the few natural food sources of vitamin D.
- Contains many other essential nutrients for babies, including zinc, iron, and calcium.
I recommend looking for wild-caught Alaskan salmon, which contains less toxins, is more flavorful, and raised sustainably. Canned salmon is also a great choice. Look for ones that are labeled no-salt-added or low-sodium and BPA free.
How to prepare salmon for baby led weaning
Remove all the bones and cook until it’s cooked through and flaky. Offer finger-shaped, 2 finger-width pieces of the cooked fish. This will make it easier for baby to grab with their palm.
Unlike with beef, chicken, tofu, etc. which I knew my baby would just hold and suck on during the early stage of starting, I was very nervous about serving big pieces of salmon because it is so flaky.
So if you’re in the same boat, you can flake the cooked salmon into tiny pieces for younger babies. If you’re doing baby led weaning, these small pieces are hard to pick up for babies who haven’t developed the pincer grasp yet. In that case, I suggest mixing into oatmeal, rice, yogurt, mashed vegetables, etc to make it easier for the baby to eat
You can also do the same using canned salmon. Just be sure to give it a good rinse. Or make this super easy and delicious SALMON QUICHE!!
Vegetables. Feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
Eggs. Here are some more baby-friendly egg recipes! You’ll also find answers to your burning questions like when can you introduce eggs? How many per day? etc.
Step by Step Instructions
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, making sure the yogurt loosens up and gets well-incorporated into the mixture.
Transfer to a 12-cup muffin pan. I LOVE to use my silicone pan (affiliate link) for this because I don’t have to deal with the glued-on egg nightmare that for whatever reason I inevitably face even when I grease a non-silicone pan.
Top with cheese, if you wish.
In the fridge. Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
In the freezer. Flash freeze and store in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
How to Reheat
Microwave frozen muffins for 1-2 minutes or refrigerated muffins for 20-25 seconds. You can enjoy cold too ;).
Other Baby-Friendly Fish Recipes
- Easy Baked Shrimp Cakes
- Easy Salmon Bean Salad
- Shrimp Sweet Potato Cakes – from my 1st ecookbook “Baby Led Weaning Beginner Bites”
Salmon Quiche - Baby Led Weaning
- 6 oz. can of wild salmon love the one from Costco. Break it up into small pieces
- 1/2 cup (about 4.4 ounces) whole fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (65g) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup (55g) chopped broccoli florets
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin, coriander, garlic powder
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together all the ingredients together in a large bowl, making sure the yogurt gets evenly distributed.
- Spoon mixture evenly into a greased or silicone 12 cup muffin pan.
- Top with cheddar cheese (optional).
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the muffins are set and the inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes, Remove from the pan and enjoy immediately, or cool on a wire rack and refrigerate or freeze for later
- Vegetables. Feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
- Storage Suggestions.
- In the fridge. Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- In the freezer. Flash freeze and store in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
- To Reheat. Microwave frozen muffins for 1-2 minutes or refrigerated muffins for 20-25 seconds. You can enjoy cold too ;).
Never miss a recipe! Join the mailing list and get new recipes straight to your inbox PLUS a free e-cookbook with baby-friendly recipes!
Grab your FREE copy here!