These oven-baked sweet potato tots are a healthy snack or side dish for babies, kids, and adults! Made with just 4 ingredients, they are easy to make and fun to eat.
Homemade Sweet Potato Tots
My family LOVES sweet potato, and I am very thankful for that. It's such a nutritious (loaded with beta carotene and vitamin C), inexpensive, and versatile ingredient!
If your child doesn't like sweet potato, introduce them to these tots, a winning kid-friendly finger food. It's also such an easy recipe that I encourage you to invite them into the kitchen with you!
Have them dump all the ingredients into a large bowl, combine (you can put your hand over theirs and do it together!), and shape.
They are going to feel so proud and excited to try what they just made ;).
Is your toddler becoming picky?
Arm yourself with these strategies that will transform your mealtimes!
- Sweet potatoes - I recommend jewel or garnet but the recipe will work with any variety.
- Grated cheese - I love to use cheddar cheese but feel free to add whatever your family enjoys. Mozzarella, Colby Jack, Monterrey, Parmesan cheese....have fun experimenting!
- Egg - So many of you have been asking me for egg-free recipes so I left it out. But if there is no egg-allergy, I recommend adding as it will help make the tots crispier. I don't recommend flax eggs for these.
- Roast (my preferred method as the flavor really intensifies in the oven) or microwave the potatoes (refer to FAQ). I don't recommend steaming as the potatoes tend to get softer/wetter.
- In a large bowl, roughly mash the cooked sweet potatoes and combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon of the mixture and form into tot shapes. Place tots onto a lined baking sheet in single layer.
- Bake until golden on the outside.
Variations and Substitutions
- Switch up the seasonings. This is the fun part! I've tried them with curry powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and smoked paprika, and they were all delish!
- Add fresh herbs, like parsley and rosemary.
- Gluten-free? Use almond flour or gluten-free bread crumbs.
- Dairy-free? Any dairy-free cheese will work!
Tips for Success
- Plan ahead if possible. Roast a batch of sweet potatoes in advance so you can whip these up in no time! I've found that the tots are more flavorful when made using roasted potatoes. However, if you are pinched for time, by no means let this stop you. Put your microwave to work.
- Do NOT mash the sweet potatoes too much. You want a rough mash, not a puree.
- Wait for the sweet potatoes to cool to room temperature before combining with the other ingredients.
- If the mixture is too moist (the starch content varies depending on the type of sweet potato) when you form into tots, place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes or so.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat to prevent the tots from sticking and to also make clean up a breeze.
These are best served warm as is or with a dip.
Here are some suggestions:
- Veggie loaded dips, such as:
- Ketchup or Ranch - if your child loves these condiments and are hesitant about trying new foods, serving them alongside their beloved foods can help encourage them to try new/disliked foods.
Now what if I told you that you can make ANY bean or yogurt dip with whatever you have on hand RIGHT NOW? With my formulas, you can whip up endless balanced and delicious concoctions without relying on recipes!
What do you have in your fridge or pantry? Using my basic formulas, you will be able to whip up something amazing out of ingredients you may have never thought to combine!
Transfer to an airtight container and store in the Refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat these veggie tots in the toaster oven or in the air fryer. I don't recommend microwaving as they will get chewy.
Or enjoy cold! My kids love these in their lunch or snack box!
Frequently Asked Questions
You bet! Heat oil in a cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tots and cook until golden, about 1-2 minutes on each side.
First wash thoroughly, pat dry, and pierce the sweet potato all over with a fork. Wrap the potatoes in a slightly damp paper towel and place on a microwave-safe plate. You don't want to microwave more than 2 potatoes at a time.
Microwave for 5 minutes or so, turning halfway through. If cooking 2 large sweet potatoes, you'll need to double the cooking time.
Since I developed this recipe with babies in mind, if you follow it exactly, the exterior of the tots will be just slightly crispy.
If you're looking for that super crunchy exterior, after shaping the tots, roll in additional bread crumbs (preferably panko bread crumbs). Also brush or spray each tot with olive oil.
More Veggie-Loaded Finger Foods
Did you make this recipe? Leave a rating below and let me know how you liked the recipe! Your feedback means so much to me!
Baked Sweet Potato Tots
- 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (about 1 ½ - 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- ½ cup (50g) breadcrumbs or almond flour
- ¼ cup (30g) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten (optional) , see note
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, or any seasoning(s) of choice
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease or Line a baking sheet for easy clean up.
- Wash the potatoes well and pat dry. Poke holes all around each potato using a fork. Rub with oil and place the potatoes on a baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 40-45 minutes. You can also microwave for 5-10 minutes. Allow the potatoes to come to room temperature.
- Peel and add the sweet potatoes a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork. You will need 2 cups or around 360g. Do not over mash! You want a rough mash not a puree.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and combine.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture into your hands and shape into tots. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden.
- Plan ahead if possible and roast a batch of sweet potatoes in advance.
- Egg are not necessary but if it fits your dietary needs and preferences, I recommend adding as it will help make the tots crispier.
- If the mixture is too moist when you form into tots, place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes or so.
- For a super crunchy exterior, after shaping the tots, roll in additional bread crumbs (preferably panko bread crumbs). Also brush or spray each tot with olive oil.