Creamy and filling, this avocado banana smoothie is so simple yet incredibly satisfying. Enjoy as a quick breakfast or energizing snack.
I turn to smoothies whenever I need a fast meal or snack for my kids. They are such a great way to pack in a lot of nutrition with minimal effort, especially when your child is sick or has little appetite.
They also help reduce food waste because I can just throw in whatever I have in the fridge.
The other day I went to Walmart to purchase some toiletries and hit the jackpot - 25-cent avocados!!!!
Avocado is such a nutritious and versatile ingredient, and of course I had to add it to our smoothies.
The texture is more similar to a banana milkshake (which my kids love) than a typical smoothie, but you can certainly thin it out if you wish!
And if you are looking for another quick avocado-based snack idea, you MUST try this creamy chocolate avocado pudding!
- Avocado - Be sure to use a ripe avocado that's soft and green, not brown or stringy.
- Ripe banana - for natural sweetness. Be sure to use frozen ripe banana.
- Milk - I recommend using whole milk but you can also use 2% or any dairy-free milk, like almond milk or coconut milk.
- Hemp seeds - I love adding this to all of our smoothies. It's such an easy way to add more healthy fats, protein, and fiber. You can leave it out if you wish or add other seeds like chia seeds or flax seeds.
- Pure vanilla extract
- Add all the ingredients to a high-powered blender.
- Pour into a cup and enjoy immediately.
Tips for Success
- Be sure to use FROZEN bananas. It makes all the difference. You can use frozen ice cubes if you don't have any in the freezer. And you definitely want to enjoy this ASAP.
- Start with ¾ cup of milk. If you desire a thinner consistency, add more milk.
- If you want to use a whole avocado, simply double the recipe.
To this basic recipe, feel free to add any of these following:
- A handful of spinach - here's how to make ANY green smoothies
- Peanut butter - can also add any nut butter, like almond butter, or seed butter if there is an allergy. Just a tablespoons is plenty.
- Cocoa powder - pairs so well with avocado!
- Yogurt - add instead of milk for a yogurt-based smoothie. You can use plain or Greek yogurt
- Fruits - mangoes, apples, berries, pineapple....all delish!
You can make this with breastmilk or formula if you wish. For added texture and nutrition, try mixing the smoothie into cooked grains like oatmeal or quinoa or lentils even!
You can serve the smoothie by itself in their favorite straw cup or as a part of a meal!
May be interested in: Easy breakfast ideas, Lunch ideas (to enjoy at home or school), Dinner Ideas
Most blenders are powerful enough that you should be able to make smoothies using frozen fruits and vegetables. However, I have found that high-powered blenders make smoother smoothies in a flash.
I absolutely LOVE my blender and use it for everything as I don't own a food processor. It is well worth the investment. I've had mine for 7+ years and it's still going strong.
I use it to make all my blender muffins, dips/sauces, smoothies, veggie nuggets, pancakes...it's hands down my number one workhorse.
This banana avocado smoothie tastes best right after it's blended, but you can refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Note that the color will darken and separation will occur. Simply give it a good shake before enjoying.
If you need to store for longer, then I recommend freezing into ice cube trays or popsicle molds. And when you are ready to enjoy, add however many smoothie cubes you wish and milk to a blender.
Frequently Asked Questions
It adds creaminess without being overpowering and is such an easy way to add more healthy fats, protein, and fiber to your child's diet and yours. It will help keep everyone satisfied and fuller for longer.
You really can’t taste the avocado. It is banana and vanilla forward.
Other Smoothies to Try
Did you make this recipe? Leave a rating below and let me know how you liked the recipe! Your feedback means so much to me!
Avocado banana smoothie
- 1 medium FROZEN banana
- ½ medium ripe avocado
- ¾ -1 cup milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all the ingredients in a high-powered blender in the order listed. Blend until smooth. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 day. You can also freeze into popsicles.
Leave a Reply