10 minutes is all you need to whip up this exciting twist on a kid favorite lunch - grilled cheese. The simple addition of hummus will amp up flavor and nutrition.
And now you can enjoy hummus in a grilled cheese sandwich! Soooo easy to make and so DELICIOUS!
Which hummus is best?
Anything! That's the beauty of this recipe. You can use either store-bought or homemade. I love to make it at home because it's a great way to repurpose whatever veggies I have on hand.
It's also fun to experiment with different ingredients and flavor combinations.
Here are some recipes of mine to try! They're so easy to whip up and freeze beautifully.
Freeze in single serving portions (love using this tray) and you can easily thaw in the fridge overnight to make these sandwiches.
- Spread a layer of hummus on one slice of bread.
- Place bread in skillet. Add cheese and top with other piece of bread.
- Cook until golden, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook other side until golden.
Tips for making the perfect grilled cheese
Dreaming about perfectly toasted bread and an ooey gooey cheese filling? Here's how to achieve this glorious perfection.
- Don't raise the heat in hopes of melting the cheese faster. Low heat and a little bit of patience are key to making sure the bread doesn't get too toasty before the cheese melts.
- Don't go overboard with the butter. You'll end up with a greasy mess.
- High-quality, sharp cheddar cheese is best! My personal favorite is Cabot!! Soooo....good....If you want to switch things up, try gruyere, gouda, Monterey jack, swiss, mozzarella.
Which pan to use
You can use a cast iron skillet, nonstick skillet or carbon steel skillet, which I've been getting really chummy with lately. It heats quickly and evenly, is lighter and so far less intimidating to take care of than cast iron (granted I probably didn't give it a proper chance).
So far I'm having fun learning about my new soon-to-be workhorse. It retains heat really well, and I especially love to use it for searing steaks. With constant use, the pan will develop a nonstick patina (which will supposedly have eggs sliding slickly) and turn mostly black. Slowly getting there!
Grilled Cheese for Kids
I know the star ingredient in a grilled cheese is...well, cheese! But I encourage you to not overdo it. Add just enough to help bind the sandwich together while allowing for the flavor of the hummus to shine through.
You can cut in half, into strips, or bite-sized pieces, depending on your child's age and preference!
Since grilled cheese is generally liked by most kids, I encourage you to use this opportunity to serve something that your child refuses to eat (broccoli for my son). Repeated exposure is SO important.
Even if it's just one measly piece of broccoli, for example, the more they see it, the more it will become familiar. And familiarity leads to acceptance.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a rating below and let me know how you liked the recipe! Your feedback means so much to me!
Hummus Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices whole grain sandwich bread
- 2-3 tablespoons hummus (homemade or store bought)
- ¼-1/3 cup shredded cheddar (or more if you wish)
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- Spread a layer of hummus on the non-buttered sides of bread.
- Heat skillet to medium/medium low heat. Add butter to melt.
- Place bread in the skillet, moving it around to coat with water. Add cheese and top with the second piece of bread.
- Cook until golden, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until golden.