Get into the holiday spirit with this moist gingerbread snack cake! Incredibly easy to make using simple, healthy ingredients, it's sure to become your new cozy and festive favorite for dessert or breakfast.
Moist Gingerbread Snack Cake
When the holiday season kicks in, the baking excitement takes over! Our favorites are these healthy sugar cookies and gingerbread cookies. They've become a beloved tradition as they're such a joy to make and decorate with the kids.
And when we're in the mood for cake, I go for this easy gingerbread treat—it not only satisfies the craving but also fills our house with that wonderful festive scent! With wholesome ingredients and much less sugar than most recipes, it still delivers those classic gingerbread flavors.
You can enjoy as is or top with this delicious and healthy cream cheese frosting, My kids love it with a dollop of yogurt or a drizzle of peanut butter too. And vanilla ice cream is always a good idea :).
I am highlighting just the ones that need further explanation. The complete list is in the recipe card below.
- White whole wheat flour - it's the same nutritionally as whole wheat flour but is lighter in texture and a little sweeter in flavor. You can use all purpose flour if you prefer.
- Molasses- look for unsulfured molasses. I do not recommend blackstrap molasses as it is more intense and has a more bittersweet flavor.
- Yogurt - will make the cake moist while boosting protein and healthy fat.
- Applesauce - provides natural sweetness, adds moisture and flavor. Use store-bought or homemade unsweetened applesauce.
- Pure maple syrup - can also use honey or date syrup.
- Warm spices - ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves for that classic gingerbread flavor.
- Cream cheese frosting (optional). This is the healthiest and easiest cream cheese frosting you will ever make!
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and line a 8 inch square pan with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, combine all the wet ingredients.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
Step 3: Stir the wet mixture into the flour mixture.
Step 4: Pour cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the inserted toothpick in the center of the cake comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips for Success
- Use room temperature eggs and yogurt to achieve the most tender cake.
- Use a spoon to scoop the flour into the measuring cup rather than scooping the flour out of the container or bag with your measuring cup. Using the latter method, you could end up with a lot more than what you need.
- Do NOT over-mix the batter after combining the dry and wet ingredients. Mix lightly with a spatula until just combined. Otherwise, you will end up with a dense cake.
- Cool completely before frosting (optiona). Once frosted, refrigerate for 30 minutes to help the frosting set, giving you a cleaner slice.
- Make ahead of time if you can. You will notice the cake tastes sweeter with the warm gingerbread spices truly shining through.
Make Ahead Tips
Prepare the cake, cool completely, cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
When ready to enjoy, bring to room temperature, and frost (or not).
Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If frosted, let the cake sit at room temperature so the frosting softens.
To freeze individual slices (don't frost), I recommend flash freezing. It's exactly the same as freezing muffins.
More Easy Snack Cake Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Leave a rating below and let me know how you liked the recipe! Your feedback means so much to me!
Gingerbread Snack Cake
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour (180g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (120g)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (260g)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and line a 8 inch square pan with parchment paper. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the wet ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- Stir the wet mixture into the flour mixture.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the inserted toothpick in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- (Optional) Spread cream cheese frosting on the cooled cake. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving to help the frosting to set and make cutting easier.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If frosted, let the cake sit at room temperature so the frosting softens. Or freeze for up to 3 months.